Lawyers Who Ride
We’re different from other law firms.
Find out how.
No Recovery? No Fees!
You don’t have to pay us anything to represent you. Learn more!
Watch Our Videos
Get to know attorney Jerry Aaron and hear from real clients of our firm.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Posted on Apr 13, 2010 12:17pm PDT
The following is a list of the some of the more recent motorcycle accident statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- In 2008 there were 5,290 motorcycle accident fatalities throughout the U.S., a 2% increase from the previous year.
- In 2008 there were 90,000 motorcycle injuries throughout the U.S.
- The NHTSA estimates that helmets helped saved the lives of 1,829 motorcyclists. The NHTSA also estimates that 823 more lives could have been saved if all motorcyclists wore helmets.
- In 2008 there were 121 motorcycle accident fatalities in Michigan alone.
- Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists were approximately 37 times more likely todiein a traffic collision than those people traveling in a car, truck, or SUV. They are nine times more likely to be injured.
- In 2008, motorcyclists accounted for 14% of all total traffic fatalities, 17 percent of all occupant fatalities, and 4% of all occupant injuries.
- In 2008, 47% of all motorcycles involved in a traffic crash collided with another type of motor vehicle. Most of the crashes involved collisions to the front of the motorcycle.
- Motorcycles are more likely to crash or collide with a fixed object than any other type of vehicle. In fact, in 2008 25% of fatal motorcycle accidents involved collisions with fixed objects.
- Of the 2,387 motorcycle accidents that involved another vehicle, 41% were caused by a driver turning left while the motorcyclists was going straight, passing, or overtaking the other vehicle.
- In 2008, 25% of all fatal motorcycles accidents were caused by speeding.
- In 2008, one out of every four motorcyclists involved in a fatal crash were riding without a valid license.
- Motorcyclists with a previous OWI/DUI conviction on their record were more likely to get in a fatal accident than drivers of passenger vehicles who have a previous OWI/DUI conviction.
- 43% of motorcyclists who died in an accident had a BAC level of .08 or more.
- The NHTSA estimates that helmets are 37% effective in preventing fatal motorcycle injuries.
Although these statistics may seem daunting, don’t be discouraged from taking out your bike and enjoying the open road. Although we can never predict what happens in life, there are things we can do to better ensure our safety. Thousands of people have ridden motorcycles for years without ever sustaining an injury, and there is no reason why you can’t experience that same fortune. In the event that you do suffer an injury in a motorcycle accident, aMichigan motorcycle accident attorneyat our firm can help you exercise your legal rights in an effort to recover compensation for yourinjuries.
If you’d like to speak with a lawyer at our firm regarding amotorcycle accidentin Michigan, please feel free tocontact Michigan Bikers Associationtoday at?1-800-MI-BIKER. Our goal is to help you recover the compensation you need, while you focus on recovering from your injuries so you can get back on your bike!
Types of Motorcycle Accidents
Types of Injuries
After a Motorcycle Accident
Drunk Driver Accidents
Helmet Laws in Michigan
Uninsured & Underinsured Riders
Sport Bike Accidents
Free Case Evaluation
We Handle Motorcycle Accidents Only!
If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact us today to learn how we can help.
Michigan’s Only Exclusive Motorcycle Accident Law Firm
We Are Lawyers Who Actually Ride
Millions of Dollars Recovered on Behalf of Clients
More than 30 Years of Experience
AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Available 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week
Highly Recommended by Past Clients
Michigan Biker Law-Michigan Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Located at 107 E. Main Street, Pinckney, MI 48169.
2018 All Rights Reserved.